The perfect recipe to make crispy fried chicken
If you ever wondered how to make crispy fried chicken that’s better than KFC, then we’ve got you covered.
- 1kg soft chicken (thighs and drumsticks)
- 2 tbsp salt, divided
- 1 large seasoning cube
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried basil or parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup buttermilk or light cream
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- Place chicken in a large bowl, season with one tablespoon of salt, toss to mix and leave to rest for 10-30 minutes.
- Blend seasoning, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, curry, thyme, and basil or parsley.
- Add the blended mix to the chicken bowl and toss to ensure that they are all well-coated with the spice blend.
- Cover with cling film, place in the fridge and allow to marinate for an hour or longer.
- Take marinated chicken out of the fridge, pour in the light cream, and toss to coat.
- Using a thong or your fingers, dip the chicken pieces, one after another, in the whisked egg whites, coat and then transfer onto a tray with flour and cornstarch. Coat and then transfer to a clean tray and leave to rest for about five minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat and fry chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked, keeping the oil temperature at about 325º.
- Transfer fried crispy chicken pieces to a wire rack and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.